Part of being frugal is being able to make the most out of what you have, and no one can deny that making food at home is going to save you a lot of money, and it tastes better too! One of my favorite biscuit recipes is drop biscuits, also called baking powder biscuits. The best thing about these biscuits is that they take ingredients you probably already have, are super quick, and can be used for anything from breakfast biscuits and gravy, to a side with your dinner. They’re delicious!
Here’s the recipe:
Easy Drop Biscuits
These biscuits are as easy as they are delicious! You really can’t mess them up, and they only take about 25 minutes to make.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Grease a cookie sheet
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar together
- Cut the shortening into the flour with two knives, a pastry blender or a a whisk until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Don’t mix too much!
- Add the milk all at once and stir just until mixed. Dough should be a little sticky
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until bottom is browned
For a variation, try adding a cup of extra sharp cheddar, or even throw in some chives, spices, or bacon.