There are a lot of different ways to cut costs on your trips to the grocery store, but how many of you shop in bulk? Warehouse stores such as Sams Club have become increasingly popular over the last few years, so naturally I was curious how effective it was at cutting costs! The answer is very, when executed properly.
Here is a master list of the items I always buy in bulk to save money:
- Beer – Smaller packs are always quite a bit more expensive per beer!
- Dry beans
- Olive oil
- Spices and Seasonings – I know you usually don’t use a lot of a single spice at once, but it’s a lot more cost-effective to go for the bigger containers.
- Vanilla extract
- Batteries (not rechargeable)
- Diapers – If you child just moved up a size, it’s best to buy a huge bulk package of diapers. You may even consider doing cloth diapering.
- Dishwasher detergent
- Gift cards – Some companies run specials if you purchase gift cards in bulk, such as a $100 value for only $85. You just have to monitor these sales.
- Laundry detergent
- Light bulbs
- Office / school supplies
- Toilet paper
- Tooth paste
- Trash bags
- Soap / shampoo
- Vitamins – Vitamins are also sold as buy one get one half off— if you know you’re going to continue taking vitamins after the bottle runs out, you might has well save 50% on your next.
When shopping in bulk I try to steer clear of perishable items, but if you know you won’t have trouble using it up (butter) perishables can be smart investments as well! You’ll also want to make sure that you have plenty of space to store your purchases, otherwise you may start to look like a hoarder! What do you guys purchase in bulk to help save money? Share with me in the comments!