These soft fluffy pretzels are easy to make and are a great snack for after school or to tuck into your husbands lunch box. Much more affordable than buying soft pretzels you can freeze these and heat them up in the Microwave later.
*If you plan to freeze these do not put salt on them until after you pull them from the freezer
- 4 to 4 ½ cups flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons yeast
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- Sesame seed or coarse salt
- In mixer bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast in saucepan heat milk, sugar, oil and 1 ½ teaspoons salt just till warm (115 –120) stir constantly. Add to flour mixture. Beat at low speed of electric mixer for ½ minute, scraping bowl. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Stir in as much of he remaining flour as you can mix in with a spoon. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic(6-8 minutes) Shape into a ball. Place in lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface.
- Cove; let rise in warm place till double( about 1 1/2 hours)
- Punch down; turn out onto lightly floured surface, cover let rest 10 minutes. Roll into a 12×8 inch rectangle. Cut into 16 strips, each 12 inches long and ½ inch wide. Roll each into a rope 16 inches long. Shape into pretzels. Let rise, uncovered, 20 minutes. Dissolve 3 tablespoons salt in the boiling water. Lower 3 or 4 pretzels at a time into boiling water; boil for 2 minutes, turning once. Remove with slotted spoon to paper toweling; let stand a few seconds then place ½ inch apart on well greased baking sheet. Brush with mixture of egg white and 2 tablespoons water. Sprinkle lightly with sesame seed or coarse salt. Bake in 350 oven 25 to 30 minutes or till golden brown.